A Sister Cities delegation from Wuxi, China, visited Chattanooga October 27, 2017. The delegation included:
- Ms. Zhang Lixia, Deputy Chairman of the Wuxi Municipal Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)
- Mr. Zhou Yanyang, Director of the Commission of Study, Culture and History of the Wuxi Municipal Committee of CPPCC
- Mr. Zhao Ming, Deputy Director of the Foreign Affairs Office of Wuxi Municipal People’s Government
- Ms. Wang Jin, Executive Council Member of Wuxi Municipal Overseas Friendship Association
- Ms. Hu Lingqing, Deputy Director of Wuxi Maternal and Child Health Hospital
- Ms. Xu Ji, Deputy Director of Wuxi Municipal Translation & Interpretation Service
The delegation began the day with a meeting at City Hall with Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke and James McKissic, Director of the Chattanooga Office of Multicultural Affairs. The group was accompanied by Karen Claypool – President of Chattanooga Sister Cities, Lulu Copeland – Executive Director of Economic and Workforce Development at Chattanooga State, and Elizabeth Rowland – Executive Director of TN-China Network.
The delegation then toured Astec and met with Greg Renegar – Astec Senior VP of Engineering, and Charles Sanford – Astec Marketing Engineer. Next stop was a visit to McCallie School, where the delegation met with high school students in a Chinese language class and ate lunch in the cafeteria with several students as well as with McCallie Chinese teacher Marcus Murphy, Charles Wood of the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce, and Dr. Ling Jun Wang of the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Department of Physics and the Chattanooga Chinese Association.
In the afternoon, the delegation met with executives and doctors of and toured Erlanger Children’s Hospital, as well as had a whiskey tasting at Chattanooga Whiskey. The day ended with a lively Chattanooga Sister Cities (CSC) potluck dinner at the home of CSC members Lisl and Paul Jackson.
See below for more photos from the visit. If you are interested in getting involved in the Chattanooga Sister Cities relationship with Wuxi, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.