In October 2015, the Confucius Institute at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, the Knoxville-US Export Assistance Center, and the TN-China Network jointly hosted a training and panel discussion event in Knoxville on China Business Intercultural Communication. In case you missed the event, the audio recording and slides from that training are now accessible in the below video and have also been posted on the TN-China Network YouTube Channel.
The event provided practical and substantive guidance on navigating differing American and Chinese cultural communication tendencies and business practices. Companies had the opportunity to share their experiences and best practices so that more Knoxville-area companies will be prepared to take advantage of opportunities the China market offers.
At the event, Elizabeth Rowland, Executive Director of TN-China Network, gave a training on Chinese business protocol and etiquette in meetings and banquets as well as provided tips for understanding and navigating differing interpersonal communication tendencies between Americans and Chinese in business. After the training, a moderated panel discussion took place during which the following esteemed panelists discussed and answered questions from the audience about actual intercultural communication challenges and opportunities they have faced when doing business with China:
- Tim Behling, Vice President of Supply Chain, Bailey International
- Stephen Johnson, PhD, President, Gryphus Diagnostics, LLC
- Robert Leach, Director, Knoxville-US Export Assistance Center, US Department of Commerce
- Raymond Liu, Graduate Assistant of International Business, Southern Adventist University
- Elizabeth Rowland, Executive Director, TN-China Network
Thank You to Our Event Sponsor: